It is a good group of kids (about 30 of them evenly split boys/girls) and I'm looking forward to the opportunity to work with them. My goals for the season are:
- Provide an intelligently structured training plan appropriate to their level of ability
- Help each athlete meet his or her training & racing goal for 2010
- Help them learn more about proper training, nutrition, gear, and recovery
- Encourage fair play and team oriented thinking
- Be fair-minded, disciplined, and a good mentor/coach/example
- Do as well as possible at dual meets and invitationals
On that note, this morning I got up at 5:00 to go for a tempo run with a few of my TAF teammates around downtown. My heart popped on big hill number three at the 45 minute mark and had to hobble-jog back to our starting point. Something like 8.5 miles in 1:04. Completely wrecked!